Ad

Wednesday, April 17, 2002

University of Indianapolis Student Show – Dean Johnson Gallery – April 17, 2002 – 3 1/2 stars



The scribbling on the postcard above are my notes for the critique below. That's how I write critiques - on whatever scrap piece of paper I have handy. I just usually need to write a key word to bring an image I viewed to life in my mind.

The gallery renews itself with refreshing new work by 16 students that smoothly knock most of the recycled, Herron-looking work at various Herron senior shows out of new art contention. Exceptions were the sculpture and photography, which were just a tad on the art school angst side. The show’s strengths are most evident in strong basic drawing competency and fluid graphic design as demonstrated in the student show poster. Josh Emrich offers technical and expressive maturity in his large-scale figurative painting while Carrie Claycomb's nearly life-size George Washington and Crucifixion paintings exhibit color and in-your-face composition confidence. A chunky, thick paint background frames a softly sculpted, molded image of Christ. Other paintings by Jake Hughes and Mike Lile serve as notable examples of real talent and visual refinement not always seen in local student shows. It is unfortunate that the opening reception had so few attendees when the work as this excellent. Through May 3, 2002; 317-634-8020, www.deanjohnson.com. -Mary Lee Pappas

1 comment:

Josh Emrich said...

Mary, thanks for your kind review 5 years ago. You were correct on your postcard--I studied with Christos for 4 years. Sadly, this was my last fine art show before I began a design/illustration career. Reading this again has made want to pursue fine art again. I just started a design/illustration blog at: joshemrich.blogspot.com. Maybe some fine art will start showing up on it.